Saturday, October 6, 2012

19th Century Meets Circa 1976 House Repair


It just occurred to me today that I’ve reached a tipping point with concerns to power and hand tools. This afternoon I was replacing some water damaged fascia board on the roof. I needed to cut a 5 foot section of 1x8 and cut a ½ inch dado about a ½ inch from the bottom.  The old me would have taken the board to the table saw and did it all there. The current me is somewhat lazy and uses his table saw as an expensive storage devise.

So I would not need to spend time and effort cleaning off the table saw, I grabbed my panel saw and plow plane and performed the job in about 15 minutes. All joking aside it really made think about the fact that in this case hand tools were way quicker than power tools.

I don’t see me getting rid of my power tools any time soon, but I’m finding that I’m becoming a better woodworker by incorporating hand tools and power tools. Another side effect of hand tool use is that the more I use hand tools the better I get at using power tools. I think it has to do with learning to work with the properties of wood which you really don’t get a feel for with power tools.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hand tools are fast to use usually when you only have to do small projects. I also agree that in a way you learn to work with the properties of wood when using hand tools because somehow you could tell the differences of its certain types. I think it is good that you are able to use both hand and power tools in your wood work.

Alphonse Daigle

Frontier Carpenter said...

Yes small projects is the key here. Larger projects its much faster to go mechanized.